Øregaard Museum opened to the public in August 1921. However, as early as 1806-7 the building was complete and used as a summer home for the wealthy Søbøtker family from Copenhagen. Øregaard – with its surrounding park – is one of the few preserved country estates from the 1800s in the town of Hellerup. It offers a glimpse into an age when the area just north of Copenhagen was farmland, and the large country estates of the wealthy urban families mixed with smallholdings and farm houses.
Øregaard Museum is home to one of Denmark’s large topographic art collections with Danish art dating from 1750 through 1930. The collection includes unknown as well as famous Danish artists including Jens Juel, C.W. Eckersberg, Martinus Rørbye and Paul Fischer.
Øregaard Museum stages two to three temporary exhibitions a year. The exhibition programme covers traditional (1800s and 1900s) as well as contemporary art. The museum has a long-standing tradition for highlighting Danish artists who were overlooked or poorly received in their time, for example Elisabeth Jerichau Baumann, Marie Krøyer, Hugo Larsen and Svend Hammershøi.
Throughout the year, the museum offers many types of events and recurring traditions for adults and children alike. These events have also helped make Øregaard a popular destination for a broader audience.