The Hirschsprung Collection is beautifully situated in the green parklands of the Østre Anlæg on the old ramparts of Copenhagen. The museum houses Heinrich and Pauline Hirschsprung’s collection of Danish art and first opened its doors to the public in the summer of 1911. The museum was designed by the architect H.B. Storck, while the original interior and display was designed by the art historian Emil Hannover, who also became the museum’s first Director.
As a collector, Henrich Hirschsprung was influenced by the naturalistic view of art of his day, the aim of which was to create a sober sense of reality. He saw the Golden Age in the same light, but at the same time he was able to go along with the change to a symbolist style in the 1890s, and he early had an eye for the artistic qualities in the otherwise unheeded sketches.