The David Collection is housed in the building once occupied by the museum’s founder, Christian Ludvig David, and in a neighboring property that was acquired later. Both date to the beginning of the 19th century. They underwent comprehensive renovation between 2005 and 2009 and today provide the setting for a fully modern museum that respects its historical heritage.
In 1945, C. L. David – a prominent lawyer – decided to preserve his collections for posterity in the form of a museum open to the public, owned and administered by the C. L. David Foundation and Collection. Since David’s death in 1960, the museum’s holdings have, however, increased significantly.
Since David’s death in 1960, the area covered by the museum has increased significantly in keeping with the acquisition of numerous new works of art. The Collection of European 18th-Century Art is now complete. First and foremost, however, the Collection of Islamic Art has been consolidated and expanded, making it the museum’s most important.